Deer & Doe Centaurée Dress
Last month at our ASG meeting my friend Judy gave me a bunch of fabric from her stash to have fun with. Included in the batch were these beautiful floral upholstery sample squares. I went through my patterns to see what I could make that had smaller pieces. The pieced bodice of the Centaurée dress was a perfect match. A sweet little sundress to get me through the dog days of summer.
Making a dress multiple times really improves the construction. This version fits perfectly and went together quickly. I made a few adaptations to make this work with my samples. All the skirt panels were cut from each square and then cut again for a seam to mix and match the different fabrics. Gathers just don’t look right in sturdy fabrics, so I altered the pattern for darts on the skirt as well. I took the full measurement of my skirt, subtracted the finished bodice and then calculated my darts.
One of the samples was not as pretty- a very pink and not as pretty design. I used that one to make all the bias for the straps. It really pulls all the colors together. I did have to change the back strap to overlap after accidently cutting it too short, but it looks fine.
All the Details:
Robe Centaurée , Deer and Doe, Size 40 Version A
Sundress with double straps and geometric paneled bodice. Version A above the knee, version B high-low hem.
Upholstery Samples, Floral Prints in Coordinating Colors, approx. 24″sq. ( I forgot to measure!?@)
The side secures with an invisible zip which really is invisible. I’ve gotten quite good at that. I also tacked in bra cups to the interior so I can wear this without a bra. Makes this so easy to wear. Next time I’ll line the bodice so they’re hidden. Everything was sewn then serged with a simple hem. No fuss sewing.
What I love most in this dress is that pop of orange red in the back bodice and some of the skirt panels. I never think of myself wearing large florals but this dress is so fun! I feel young and carefree when I put it on!
Right now I’m working on a few projects for our home. My old chair covers finally wore out so I’m making new ones. I got a Blueprint subscription (I have links in the sidebar>>) to try out over the summer for my daughter and I. She loves the drawing classes and I’m doing some gardening, home décor and of course sewing classes. I also finally fixed my indigo wrap pants and altered them to a pair of culottes that I’ve been wearing now all the time. My dye garden is sprouting and I’m working on an avocado dye shibori project too.
Back soon with more makes. Happy Summer Sewing!