Holly Hawthorn Dress
This dress combines the best parts of two of my favorite patterns! The bodice of the Holly Jumpsuit and the skirt from the Hawthorn dress. Luck was with me as the patterns matched exactly at the waist-though in different sizes. My easiest pattern hack yet!
Pattern + Fabric Info:
Holly Jumpsuit, By Hand London Size 10 US/14UK
Hawthorn Dress, Colette Patterns Size 8
Hemp Linen *Organic Cottons Plus
~this fabric is currently unavailable but they have many similar linens~*(affiliate link)
Last week I shared my Fall Sewing Plans which included the plans for this look. It all started when I decided to refashion my Holly Jumpsuit into something more wearable. I had only worn it twice-both times to the Botanical Gardens– and decided it was just not practical for my lifestyle. I separated the jumpsuit into two pieces, top and bottom, to make two new looks. This is the first, combining the bodice with the Hawthorn skirt lengthened to a midi. I’ve been envisioning this look ever since I made my first Hawthorn dress in my pre-blog days. You can see the mood board here.
I re-ordered 2 yds of the original hemp-linen fabric, but under a different sku, so I wasn’t sure it would be a match until it arrived. Luckily it did! My Holly Jumpsuit took 3yds total, which is the amount I would reorder if making this up again from scratch. I was so psyched when I lined up the patterns and saw they were an exact match!!!! Even the button edges were a match though I wear an 8 in Colette and a 10 in By Hand London.
I also made a matching linen slip for wearing with this dress, but it’s a big old pattern fail! I’m not happy with the shape or fit. Too low in back and way too big, I had to gather the back to make it work. It was a free pattern though so not a big loss and I plan on refashioning the linen it into a top. A new slip is on my to sew list now, probably in a natural jersey to wear with all my dresses in a simpler tank style.
These pics were taken at the Naples Botanical Garden up by the waterfall and giant lily pond. I thought this mosaic tile wall would be a fabulous backdrop to my all white Holly Hawthorn dress. It’s so hard to get great pics of an all white dress. My mom and the kids were with me for a lovely day at the gardens. I’m trying to get a few more days in visiting the gardens before they close for September maintenance. Because we live in a third floor condo I really appreciate spending as much time outdoors as I can. It’s a chance to recharge and be inspired by the beauty around me.
Check out my earlier Holly post for all my original pattern changes. I simply removed the bodice from the jumpsuit and removed part of the button band to attach the new skirt. I added about 4 inches to the skirt and cut my outside edges as well as the center back seam on the selvedge so they wouldn’t need extra finishing. I skipped the interfacing on the button edge as my fabric was sturdy. The side seams of the skirt were finished with enclosed french seams. I also redid all my buttons so they’d match with thrifted buttons from a goodwill shirt that I’ll refashion later too. Simple turned twice hem.
I’ve already worn this more in the last two weeks then I wore my jumpsuit in the last 5 months!
I almost forgot- check out my hair! I just chopped it all off again! I tried growing it out for the past year but quickly realized it would be at least another year until my hair was the length I prefer so I could wear it up or braided. Plus my husband requested it :) I love my hair short, though I’ve had better haircuts. I swear it seems stylists are just not trained in cutting short hair any more, at least where I am. My hair looked okay out of the salon, but not the style I requested at all. And I showed front, back and side pics from my Pinterest Hair board. I cut the front the day after to closer to what I was going for, a shaggy Audrey Tautou pixie with tiny bangs. Luckily my hair grows super fast so in a few weeks it will be perfect.
Hope your all enjoying these last days of summer! Happy Sewing!