Hello and Welcome to Sew Pomona!
I’m Rebecca, seamstress, sewing blogger, natural dyer, sometime knitter and very crafty momma. I live in beautiful and very sunny Davie, Florida with my husband (and best friend), two sweet kiddos, our crazy little rescue Chiweenie Suki and a cute leopard gecko Iris (who I call Lizzy). This is my little space to document all my makes as I work to craft a beautiful life for myself and my family. I’ve been blogging here for 7 years now so search back to see how far I’ve come!
When I’m not sewing or pattern drafting I like to indulge in one of my many hobbies. I work part time (from home which is THE BEST!) as a photo retoucher for Megan DiPiero Photography. When I’m not making you’ll most likely catch me at the beach.
“Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful.”William Morris, The Beauty of Life, 1880
Why is the blog named Sew Pomona?
What are your hobbies?
- sewing, of course!
- knitting ( I love my Slope knit tank and Linas)
- reading (mysteries and sci-fi as well as lit and biographies + you can follow me on Goodreads)
- pattern drafting ( read on here for my most recent pattern-making)
- printmaking (my college major-BFA Univ. of Hartford)
- decorating ( I was a Home Furnishing Visual Merchandiser pre-kids)
- painting murals (in the planning stages for my home as we speak)
- embroidery (check out my embroidered jeans)
- gardening ( I’m starting a dye garden which I can’t wait to share!)
- cooking (especially from my garden, I’ve got some lovely spinach, tons of cilantro, micro greens and cherry tomatoes right now)
- Use organic and sustainable/recycled materials whenever possible
- Explore and expand my natural dyeing knowledge
- Draft my own patterns
- Focus on the details: embroidery, high end finishes and construction
What machines do you use?
Janome Sewist 721
(purchased online from Pocono Sew and Vac)
I just got this machine to replace my older Singer Stylist. I love the easy to use basic stitches and the strong motor. I was looking for a very simple basic machine with no computerized features. I don’t use many decorative stitches but do require a strong durable workhorse. This machine has some really cool stretch stitches as well as an easy to use buttonhole maker. Love it!
Juki MO 654DE Serger
I LOVE this serger! Sews like a dream and very quiet. This was an upgrade to my old basic serger and what a difference a quality machine makes. This thing can handle anything from silk to denim. Going strong at at 3+ years.
Brother Pacesetter 2340CV Coverstitch Machine
This is a very basic but functional coverstitch. Great for beginners. I’m looking to upgrade this machine next but it does the job for now.
What size are you wearing?
- Height 5’7″ , Age 44
- Bust 36″ Underbust 31″
- Waist 29″
- High Hip 36″ Low Hip 39″
I wanted to add my current sizing and measurements to this page so anyone interested in sewing similar patterns I feature on my blog can use them as a guide. In most Indie patterns I’m a size 8 and wear a size 12 in Vogue, McCall’s and Simplicity (with the following adjustments : lengthen waist 1″ and a narrow back adjustment.)
Thanks for joining me on this journey!