Choosing a color palette is more than just picking your favorite colors. It’s about finding those hues that make you feel confident, complement your skin tone, and fit with the season and your lifestyle.
Hi everyone, and welcome to the 6th episode of my YouTube series on Planning and Sewing a Seasonal Wardrobe. I’m here to help you create a wardrobe that’s stylish and sustainable! One piece at a time.
Hello and welcome back to Sew Pomona. I’m Rebecca, and I’m so glad you’re here. I love talking about all things fashion and sewing with a focus on travel and capsule wardrobes. If you haven’t yet, hit that subscribe button to never miss an upload. And say hello in the comments!
Video Playlist: Plan & Sew a Seasonal Wardrobe
Blog Posts in this Series:
Today, we’re focusing on one of the most exciting aspects of wardrobe planning: choosing your color palette. It’s all about finding those colors that look great together and make you feel fabulous.
So, what exactly is a color palette?
It’s a carefully selected set of colors that harmonize beautifully with each other, forming the basis of your wardrobe’s color scheme that will help you create a wardrobe that’s cohesive and resonates with your personal style.
Why bother with a color palette?
Well, having a set of colors that work well together can be a game-changer for your wardrobe. It helps in creating a cohesive look, makes fabric shopping a breeze, and allows you to express your personal style more effectively. Plus, it can be a real money-saver, preventing those impulse buys of colors that don’t really match with anything else you have.
- Cohesive Wardrobe: A well-thought-out color palette helps you craft a wardrobe that’s both stylish and coordinated.
- Efficient Fabric Shopping: With a defined color palette, you can shop for fabrics that seamlessly match your existing pieces, saving you time and effort.
- Budget-Friendly: Sticking to a color palette prevents those impulsive buys of colors that don’t really work with your wardrobe, helping you save money in the long run.
- Personal Style Expression: Your chosen colors are a vibrant expression of your unique style, letting your personality shine through your outfits.
So, how do we go about choosing the perfect color palette?
Here are some tips to guide you:
- Personal Preferences: Start with colors that you naturally gravitate towards, those hues that make you feel fabulous and confident.
- Skin Undertones: Consider your skin undertones when selecting colors. Some shades will flatter your complexion more than others, enhancing your natural glow. If you missed my earlier video on “Finding Your True Colors”- be sure to go back and check it out. You can also get your colors done by a professional to help figure out your ‘season’ and best colors.
- Seasonal Colors: Keep the season in mind. While summer calls for bright and lively colors, winter often embraces more subdued, darker tones.
- Lifestyle Considerations: Your lifestyle plays a significant role in your color choices. If you have a busy schedule, opt for a palette that’s versatile and easy to mix and match.
Let’s start with Inspiration!
High contrast, jewel tones, soft muted pastel, shades of the ocean…these are all great starting points for designing a curated collection. Choosing a cohesive color palette for our seasonal wardrobe can help us mix and match our pieces more easily. I like to start with 2-3 neutrals as a base and add 1-2 pops of color.
Neutral Color Options
Olive, navy, taupe, white, black, cream, grey, caramel
Look to design magazines, nature, artwork and of course your mood board or your favorite colors to add some color to the bases you’ve chosen.
Use Fabric Colors:
A good place to start can be with a favorite fabric in your stash. Colorful prints can be a great base for your palette. Design a whole collection around the colors in the design.
Small-Scale Floral Viscose Knit Print Designer Deadstock – Teal + Copper, Core Fabrics OOS
Italian ‘unfurled’ lightweight viscose knit Emma One Sock OOS
My colors for Fall/ Winter 2023
Caramel, cream, navy, rust/rose red, burgundy
Selecting a color palette will help you craft a wardrobe that’s not only stylish but also deeply personal. Follow these tips, and you’ll be on your way to creating a color story that you absolutely love!
Color Palette Inspiration:
If you click on the pinterest board below I have a sub category with color palette ideas. You can also see all my past wardrobe planning boards.
I can’t wait to hear about all the fun and vibrant color palettes you come up with! Let me know in the comments what colors you are thinking about using this season. In the next episode we’re going to going to talk all about sketching and designing, with a focus on finding the perfect sewing patterns to create your vision.
Remember, this is your wardrobe, so have fun with it and let your creativity soar. Thanks for joining me today, and until next time, Happy Sewing!