We’re less than a month away from our big family trip to Greece and I’m getting sew excited! I’ve been busily sewing away on the weekends to finish up my travel wardrobe and get my gear ready to pack. Today I thought I’d share what I’m making and my travel prep and planning.
Our extended family trip to Greece starts in September for an exciting 10 day trip to Rhodes and Athens. This trip has been in the works for ages and was postponed due to Covid so I’ve been planning my makes for quite some time.
Our family is all meeting up in Rhodes for the first leg of our trip to relax in Pefkos (you can see where we’re staying on my Greece Pinterest board). My parents, my sister and her family and my brother his fam (they just got engaged so double celebration!) are getting together for a big Greek Family Vacation! The house we’re renting is directly off the water- you can walk right into the Mediterranean from the deck! It’s a huge home with an attached apartment and pool. Next we’ll all head to Athens where we’re staying in the center of town in adjacent apartments. Plus it’s right around the corner from the Acropolis and the fabric district- who could ask for more!
Travel Capsule Sewing Plans:
I’m trying to pair down my makes to a simple color palette so everything can mix and match. Shades of blush and mauve with a bright blue and neutral tees in black and white. Plus some fun new bikinis and a rashguard.
What I’m making:
I’ve cut out everything I’m making and have slowly been working my way through all the sewing. Swimsuits and a new rashguard are done and I just have a few last things to make. My plans have shifted over time until my wardrobe plans now are much more simplified and coordinate beautifully. I’m making sure everything is able to to mix and match. And this may seem like alot for a trip but these are all clothes I want to make and wear regularly and I’m excited to add all these makes to my wardrobe and will be perfect for year round wear here in Florida.
- Maude Woven Tunic in Zimmermann Sand Dollar and Blue Fog Fil Coupe Dot Linen and Cotton Woven and Ellen Woven Shorts in Lyocell Twill – Powder Blue (Style Arc Patterns)
- Dale Knit Top (Style Arc) in Stretch Bamboo Jersey – Dusty Rose from Closet Core Fabrics
- Donna Karan Vogue 1489 (if time permits) in Organic Cotton + Tencel Stretch Knit Jersey – Orchid Pink (Core Fabrics)
- Closet Core Faye’s (plus a matching floral one for my daughter!) in Recycled Nylon Spandex Swimwear Fabric – Pthalo Blue and Ditzy Floral Print Swimwear Deadstock Print (Closet Core Fabrics)
- McCalls 6658 V Neck Tee’s in Black and White knits from Stonemountain and Daughter
- Knit Loungewear- Loose Pant and fitted tank with bra top in FRENCH BLUE JERSEY USA KNIT from Marcy Tilton (it’s finished and looks amazing!)
- 2 Self Drafted Pants in Textured Non-Stretch Cotton – Blossom (Closet Core-pictured upper left- may not take) and DOTTED STRIPE COTTON DOBBY – IVORY/BLACK (Blackbird)
- 1 Culotte in SANDWASHED COTTON CANVAS – QUARTZ (Blackbird)
- Wrap Jacket for Plane
- Possibly my Tulip Pants and Mandy Tee
- And a gorgeous White bias slipdress I drafted myself in Sandwashed Cupro – Ivory from CC for our family photoshoot!
Wardrobe Plans and Inspiration:
All the Fabrics I’m thinking about using are linked below :
Projects on the go:
I’ve also gotten really in to EPP, English Paper Piecing, recently so I’m gathering my supplies so I can bring a project with me. Now that I work for a fabric company (Art Gallery Fabrics) that specializes in quilting a whole new world of craftiness has opened up. I’m getting a tiny bit obsessed! If you follow AGF you’re sure to see all the YouTube videos and reels on Insta I’ve been making.
- Rick Steves, Greece- Athens and the Peloponnese 6th Edition
- Sarah Souli, Greek Islands and Athens
- Fodor’s Essential Greece and Greek Islands
- Alexandra Jimenez (Travel Fashion Girl), Pack Light Stylishly
- Yasmin Khan, Ripe Figs (my favorite new cookbook!)
- Stephen Fry, Mythos and Heroes
- John Julius Norwich, The Middle Sea
Travel Gear and Accessories:
Most of these were bought on Amazon (except the suitcase which my dad got me with his extra points/rewards). I don’t do affiliates on the blog so these aren’t linked, but you could easily search these up if you’re interested.
American Tourister Checked 25″ Zoom Turbos in Teal and Black ,Yoga Paws, Tripped Toiletry Bags and XL Travel Cubes, USB International Adapters, Eucalan Getaway Gang, Ban.do and Star Wars Luggage Tags
Shoes: Chaco Z1 Sandal in Burnt Umber, Keen Elsa Sneaker V in Natural/Plaza Taupe and Birkenstock Glenda’s in Black
Hat: The North Face V Brimmer Hat in Goblin Blue (DICK’s)
Bags: DOUGHNUT Macaroon Cream Iceberg & Sakura Backpack (Tilly’s), Teal Duffel Carry On Bag
Accessories: Belkin USB Power Bank, Athens Pocket Guide Rick Steves
Greece Vacation Planning Playlist:
Here’s my Greece Vacation and Travel Planning/Packing and Wardrobe Essentials playlist on Youtube. All my favorite videos in one place. My favs are Tim and Finn from Tripped for travel packing and their vlog, Helinika for info and tips on Greece, and Alyssa Beltempo for style inspiration and capsule wardrobe ideas. I’ll be adding more videos as we get nearer to the trip in September. Here’s the link:
Let me know in the comments if you’d be interested in a video on packing a travel capsule (handmade) wardrobe. Or any other video or blog content you’d like to see. I am planning on doing a Fabric Shopping in Greece post once I return. So stay tuned!
Back soon with more. I’m planning on taking pics of most of my new makes while I’m abroad but I have a few more makes to share in the meantime. Happy Sewing!