How chic is this two piece set? I just love it!
This is Vogue Patterns V1419 Asymmetrical Tunic and Drawstring pant set I made out of this oh- so-soft and lovely Tencel Jersey in Deep Teal from Core Fabrics. I bought two yards to make the cropped cardigan and pant and then went back and bought some more so I could make the tunic in the same fabric!
* * * Please note- in these photos of me wearing the top on vacation I am actually wearing the top backwards!
Since it was just a tad tight in the bust I tried it reversed and found I preferred wearing it that way- plus I liked the drape in the front.
I’ll probably size up the tunic top next time if I want to wear it the way it’s pictured on the cover. * * *
This pattern is pretty easy to sew as long as you pay attention to your notches and mark well. I skipped the hems and left all the edges raw, sewing it all up on my serger.
I adore how this fabric drapes and the color is just fantastic. They have an entire lineup of colors in this knit and I need to buy some more. It’s lightweight and dreamy. I will say this knit is probably better for tops and dresses (it’s quite light) then for pants, but so far so good. I’m being a bit careful with it, washing on cold and hanging to dry. I do this now with all my nicer knits.
Project Details V1914:
For this project I made all three views of the pattern in a coordinating knit. I’m using an Organic Cotton + Tencel Stretch Knit Jersey in Deep Teal from Core Fabrics. I did not pre-wash my fabric as I don’t plan on putting this in the dryer, I’ll hang it to dry. I find this helps to preserve the quality of my lighter knits.
Today I’m reviewing Vogue 1914, an Easy pattern released in the Fall of 2022. This is a current pattern available on the Simplicity website. I love how this make turned out. I made all three pieces in the pattern and love having a matching set. I may still make a tank top to coordinate since I have quite a bit of this gorgeous fabric leftover. I love the slightly tapered shape of the pant leg and the tunic is so chic and elegant.
Vogue 1914 is a 3 piece pattern set. Slim fit V-neck cardigan has button front, and neckline facings. Loose-fitting asymmetric tunic has long sleeves, uneven hemline, and stitched hems. Wide leg pull-on pants have elastic waist with drawstring, self-tie, and stitched hems. It comes in two size ranges XS-M as well as L-XXL. I cut my pattern in a straight size Medium which is a 12-14 (my usual size in Vogue). This pattern calls for moderate knits with at least 35% cross grain stretch. You can measure your fabric stretch by using the guide on the side of the pattern envelope.
My sewing tips for this pattern:
- The Tunic is cut in full pieces so make sure to mark the right side of your fabric with pins or thread tracing. It has a grown on sleeve on the right side and a set in sleeve on the left. So, you’ll use One Front Piece 7, a Yoke and Sleeve 8, Right Back 9, Left Back 10, and Left Sleeve 11. You don’t want to mix up your pieces and sew anything backwards. *see note above
- I sewed my set almost entirely on the serger. I find it helps if I mark my seam allowance at the edges before I go over to my machine to sew.
- I also skipped the hems and left my edges raw. My fabric rolls nicely at the edge so this looks really nice. I suggest serging to keep your thread tails extra-long as you go and then thread them on a needle and weave back into the seam to keep it secure.
- The pants are really easy construction wise. Pull on elastic waist. The pattern uses 2 lengths of 3/8” elastic that you create casings on the waistband for insertion. The only trick here is to keep your stitching even. I like to make a tape guide on my sewing machine to keep my stitching lines looking professional. I used a purchased drawstring, but the instructions do show you how to make a self-fabric tie. My fabric was lightweight, so I went with this. Do make sure to interface the opening. Alternatively, you could speed up you’re sewing and just do an enclosed elastic waistband.
Fabric & Pattern:
Core Fabrics Deep Teal Jersey
Organic Cotton/Tencel Knit Jersey in Deep Teal
59in / 150cm
WEIGHT 200 gsm / 5.9 oz/yd²
FIBRE 66% Tencel, 28% Organic Cotton, 6% Spandex
PANTONE COLOUR 19-4324 TCX
STRETCH 90% four-way stretch
TRANSPARENCY Fully Opaque
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN China
Slim fit V-neck cardigan has button front, and neckline facings. Loose-fitting asymmetric tunic has long sleeves, uneven hemline, and stitched hems. Wide leg pull-on pants have elastic waist with drawstring, self tie, and stitched hems.
V1914 Asymmetrical Tunic
This tunic has such interesting seam lines and drapes beautifully and I love the pant’s wide leg and classic drawstring insertion. Really elegant worn together.
V1914 Drawstring Pant
You can read my earlier blog post or watch my Sew Along for Vogue 1914 Cropped Cardigan (View A) in my tutorial video linked below. My full pattern review, sharing all three pieces, will be on YouTube soon.
I wore this on our recent vacation up to Cocoa beach and love lounging in this matching set. Cozy and Classic! It got quite cool at night on the water so I’m so glad I brought this set. Plus it rolls up quite small so a great travel outfit. This would be great for a plane travel look! Maybe with a light tank top underneath. I can see another set in my future. I love the cover art example in the rib knit and when I find the perfect fabric I’ll be making up another matching set!
Head over to YouTube to see the outfit worn! Or watch my packing video. You can also check out my relaxing Beach video if you’re into that kind of chill vibe. We watch Naturescapes on our Fire TV constantly so I love making nice relaxing beach videos whenever we travel now.
As you can see I matched perfectly with my surroundings!
Don’t forget to grab my free Wardrobe Travel Planner to help you plan out your own handmade wardrobe perfect for any vacation or trip!
Back soon with more makes! And follow me on YouTube for Me Made May weekly roundups this month! Happy Sewing!